The Republicans would like Americans to think that everything in Europe is falling apart, but too bad the truth doesn't quite match up to their stories. Compared to other regions in the world, including the US, Europe is looking pretty good.
Here are 5 myths about sick old Europe:
- The sclerotic European economy is incapable of leading the world.
- Nobody wants to invest in European companies and economies because lack of competitiveness makes them a poor bet.
- Europe is the land of double-digit unemployment.
- The European "welfare state" hamstrings businesses and hurts the economy.
- Europe is likely to be held hostage to its dependence on Russia and the Middle East for most of its energy needs.